Recipe: Osso Buco
If you are craving a rich, hearty braised dish, you must give this Osso Buco recipe a try.
- 1.5kg veal shanks, cut into rounds
- 300ml red wine
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 500ml chicken or beef stock
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp plain flour, placed in a separate bowl
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- Pre-heat Potjie Pot (or camp oven).
- Season meat with salt and pepper, and toss in the flour until lightly coated. Heat half the oil in the Potjie Pot and fry the meat in batches until brown and crusty. Put meat aside.
- Heat the rest of the oil in the same Potjie Pot and cook the onion and celery until softened. Add garlic, carrot & rosemary and cook until they start to brown.
- To de-glaze the pot, add stock and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer meat back into the Potjie Pot.
- Now add the wine, then stir in the tomato paste, anchovy, orange zest and chilli.
- Place the lid on the Potjie Pot and allow to slow cook for 3 - 4 hours. Turn the meat over once half way through.
- Once the meat is tender and almost falling off the bone your Osso Buco is ready.
- Skim off any excess fat.Serve with mashed potato, rice or damper.