Recipe: Beef Stew with Dumplings
You can't beat a slow cooked stew, especially when camping in colder months. Put it on in the afetrnoon and let it simmer away until it's time for dinner!
For the beef stew
- 1kg cubed beef
- 1/4 butternut pumpkin
- 1 turnip
- 1 parsnip
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 zucchinis
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp parsley
For the dunplings
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup milk
- 60g grated cheese of choice (we used parmesan)
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Mixing bowl
- Potjie Pot
- Large wooden chopping board
- Pre-heat Camp Oven or Potjie Pot.
- In a medium bowl, coat beef in flour, shaking off any excessive crumbs.
- Oil your pot or oven and cook the beef until browned all over. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Using the same pot or oven, sauté onion, zucchini, turnip, parsnip, carrot and celery for 2 minutes, then add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Pour in wine and bring to the boil, stirring until reduced by roughly half.
- Add stock, pumpkin, potatoes, rosemary, parsley and beef to the pot. Cover and cook low and slow for 2 hours.
- While the stew is simmering make the dumplings by combining all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Roll dumplings into balls and place on top of the stew in the last 10-15mins of cooking time (lid on).
- Serve as is or with a side of damper!