Recipe: Savoury Pull-Apart
This pull-apart recipe is super simple, super tasty and places emphasis on the communal experience which is what camp cooking is all about. Feel free to play with the flavours by adding different vegetables. When it comes to outdoor appetisers, it doesn’t get much better than this.
Note: A great dish for those who are still mastering camp oven cooking as the recipe is fairly straight forward and intuitive. You are basically just browning bread and melting cheese!
- 1kg flour
- 100g butter
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- Approx. 200ml milk
- 200g mushrooms
- ¼ red, ¼ green and ¼ yellow capsicum
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup cheese
- 150g bacon pieces
- Wooden chopping board
- Sharp knife
- 9 Quart Camp Oven
- Wooden spoon
- Kitchen scissors (optional)
- Prepare the campfire or charcoal for cooking.
- Dice onion, garlic, mushrooms, capsicum and bacon and add to a medium bowl. Add cheese then put to the side.
- Rub butter and flour together until smooth, add pinch of salt and mix well.
- Add 1 egg to your mix and stir through with a wooden spoon.
- Mix and add milk gradually until flour becomes a dough.
- Tip flour mix onto a bread board and knead for 3min.
- Without making it too thin, flatten out dough mix into a rectangle shape. Sprinkle bowl of veggies into the centre (lengthways) of dough then roll to close.
- Using kitchen scissors (or a sharp knife), snip 8 incisions into the long side of the dough to make ‘pull-apart’ tabs.
- Place into camp oven and rest for 10mins.
- Bake until golden brown.