Guest Recipe: One-Pot Moroccan Inspired Chicken
Author: Guest Blog
When camp cooking I like to combine traditional dishes to deliver a tasty, wholesome meal with minimal effort and more importantly, the least amount of washing up. This dish combines Moroccan chicken with Risoni pasta resulting in a meal that leaves you feeling satisfied.
I love to use the best fresh produce while supporting local businesses and for that reason I chose to use Little Hill Farm pasture raised chicken for this dish.
- Recipe and images provided by @the_backyard_cook.
Serves: 3 to 4
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 to 2 hours
- 800g - 6 free range chicken thighs
- 2 large red onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 red capsicum
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Small bag of baby spinach
- 1 cup of Risoni
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon of chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried coriander leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Prepare your campfire coals and create a hot and warm zone.
- Combine spices by roughly grinding in a mortar and pestle (this can easily be done at home and put in a bag prior to going camping) then season chicken pieces by sprinkling both sides with around ½ of the spice mix.
- Roughly chop the onion, capsicum, tomato and garlic and set aside.
- Place the lid of the 3.2 Quart combo cooker on the hot coals and heat a good dash of oil before adding the chicken pieces. Once browned on both sides, remove pan from direct heat.
- Heat oil in the base of the 3.2 Quart combo cooker and add onion, cooking until translucent. Move the onion to the side of the pan and quickly fry remaining spices and garlic.
- Add tomato and capsicum to the spice mix, cooking until all ingredients have softened, then pour in 3 cups of stock and bring to the boil. Add the chicken then reduce to a simmer by moving the Combo Cooker onto the warmer coals.
- Deglaze the lid by heating the pan over hot coals and pour in remaining stock. Add flavoured stock to the chicken and spice mix to simmer for 1hr stirring occasionally until chicken is cooked through.
- Roughly 15 minutes prior to meal time stir in the Risoni and simmer until cooked through. Mix in baby spinach before serving. Enjoy!