Recipe: Moroccan Lamb Shanks
Two words: mouth watering. This Moroccan Lamb Shank recipe is a delicous blend of sweet and savoury that is found in Moroccan cooking.
- 2 Lamb Shanks
- 1 litre Chicken Stock
- 6tbs Moroccan Seasoning
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 400g tin crushed tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 rosemary springs
- 2 tbs Harissa Paste
- ½ cup dried apricots, chopped
- ½ cup pitted dates, chopped
- Coriander leaves and slivered almonds, to serve
- Heat oil in a 9 Quart Camp Oven.
- Dust lamb shanks in Moroccan Seasoning, keeping 2 tbls aside.
- Fry off lamb shanks in the camp oven, rotating until brown on all sides. Remove and leave to rest.
- Deglaze oven with splash of chicken stock then fry off diced onion until translucent.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, rosemary, harissa Paste and reserved Moroccan Seasoning. Mix well.
- Return shanks, including juices, to the oven and add remaining chicken stock. Add water if required to nearly cover the shanks.
- Cook with low heat for 3.5 hours, turning every 30 mins.
- Add apricots and dates and cook for a further 15 mins.
- Serve with rice, couscous, mash potato or polenta.