Recipe: Mexican Cob Loaf
If you didn’t know, Chili Con Carne and Cob Loaf are a match made in heaven.
- 1 large cob loaf
- 500g beef mince
- 400g red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 medium brown onion
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 810g tin crushed tomatoes
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 2 tsp sugar
Mexican spice mix
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbs cumin powder
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Sour cream
- Cheese, grated
- Avocado, diced
- Tortilla or Corn chips of choice
- Dice onion & capsicum and set aside for a minute. In a cast iron skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, cook for one minute then add diced capsicum and cook for a further two minutes.
- Place skillet over hotter coals & add the minced beef. Break it up with a wooden spoon, until most of the meat has browned off.
- Add the Mexican spice mix to the beef mixture. Stir & continue cooking until beef has browned through.
- Add the tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, beans, crushed stock cubes, sugar and half a cup of water to the beef mix. Stir and let it come to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Prepare your cob by carefully slicing of the top. Pull the bread out of the middle to create a bowl and set pieces aside. Be sure to leave a few cm's in the bottom to hold the Mexican contents.
- When you filling is nearly done place your hollow cob and bread pieces onto a trivet in a camp oven to bake. Toast until golden.
- Place your cob onto a board and fill with Chili Con Carne mix.
- Top with sour cream, grated cheese, avocado and corn chips!