Recipe: Hot Cross Buns
Whether you're camping or at home this Easter, Hot Cross Buns are always a good idea! *Tip: Use smashed Easter eggs as choc chips.
- 4 cups plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 x 7g sachets dried yeast
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 40g butter, softened
- 300ml milk
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp mixed spice (for traditional buns)
- 1.5 cups sultanas/fruit mix or choc chips/smashed Easter eggs
For the cross
- 1.5 cup plain flour
- 6 tbls water
For the glaze
- 1/4 cup water
- 2-3 tbls caster sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour, yeast, salt and sugar. Add mixed spice and sultanas/fruit mix for traditional or choc chips/Easter eggs for choc chip buns.
- Heat butter and milk in small saucepan until lukewarm. Add to spice bowl.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Add the dough to a large, slightly greased bowl then cover with plastic wrap. Leave in a warm place for 45 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Prepare the coals and pre-heat your camp oven while the dough rests.
- Remove the risen dough from the bowl and ‘punch down’. Slightly knead, then divide into 12-16 balls.
- Grease and line your oven with baking paper. *Tip: Use a trivet to prevent burning.
- To make the 'cross', whisk together flour and water in a small bowl until smooth. Add more water if needed. Make a piping bag out of baking paper or spoon mixture into zip lock bag and cut the corner.
- Place 8 balls (buns) into a 9 quart camp oven then pipe the flour mix on top to form crosses. Cook for 30-35 mins, rotating lid and oven every 10 mins (coals on top and bottom).
- To make the 'glaze', heat water and sugar in a small saucepan until sugar has dissolved. Brush onto top of buns.
- Serve warm and with butter!