Recipe: Donut Bites
Nothing beats the smell or taste of fresh, camp-cooked donuts.
*Warning: these are extremely delicious and may cause you to eat way more than you should.
- 3 - 4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) Buttermilk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cinnamon sugar
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- Start your campfire early enough to create hot coals.
- Pour oil into the base of the 3.2 Combo Cooker and place it CAREFULLY over the hot coals or on a camp grill. *Oil is flammable so ensure flames are low and away from cooking area.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder & salt.
- Seperately whisk together buttermilk and melted butter. Pour liquid into flour mixture and whisk with a fork.
- Roll dough into 1/2 tsbl balls. Once oil has reached temperature, fry half the dough balls at a time. Fry until golden brown on the bottom then flip and cook reverse side.
- Carefully remove with a strainer or tongs and drain on paper towel lined plate.
- Pour 1/3 cup cinnamon sugar into a container or bowl and roll donuts around, coating all sides. Repeat this process with remaining donut batter.
- Eat warm or leave to cool!